New Company Registration for District Of Columbia
District of Columbia Office of Tax and Revenue
State Withholding Income Tax Registration Steps:
1. Register for a tax registration number and create a username and password
- Go to https://mytax.dc.gov online center
- Under Business Registration, click on “Register a New business- Form FR-500”
- Review items needed to register and click next
- How to Register a New Business help can be found using the following link How to Register a New business- Form FR-500
- As you go through the pages all mandatory fields will be accompanied by a red star. They will need to be addressed to successfully move on.
- In the Account Registration Summary, please ensure to also check “Withholding Wage Tax” with all other applicable taxes.
- Complete the remainder of the pages
- Before you complete the registration, please keep a record of the confirmation page. This will allow you to follow up on your registration.
2. Create a username and password
- Username and password will need to be set up outside of the registration process. This is a highly recommended step, so that you will always have access to your Mytax.DC.gov portal. Go back to https://mytax.dc.gov in the Log In section click “New user? Sign-up for MyTax.Dc.Gov”
Update your Eddy account once you receive your District of Columbia number. Your tax registration number is required for all District of Columbia Office of Tax and Revenue interactions to ensure your account is accurate.
If you have any questions regarding this process, you can send an email to e-Services.email@example.com, contact a representative at (202) 759-1946, or (202) 727-4TAX (727-4829).
District of Columbia Department Of Employment Services (DOES)This covers registration for the following types of tax:
- Unemployment Insurance Tax (UI)
- Paid Family and Medical Leave (PFML)
Employers who pay wages for services performed in the District of Columbia are required to register for an ESSP account number. If the employer is liable under District unemployment insurance law, then the employer must also report wages and pay the appropriate contributions.
1. Register for District of Columbia Department Of Employment Services
- Go to https://does.dc.gov/page/ui-taxes website
- Under Employer click on “DOES Employer Self-Service Portal”
- Under “Select who you are” click Employer
- Under “Welcome to DOES Employer Self Service Portal” select -Register for a new Account
- Review instructions and click “Next”
- As part of your registration you will be creating a username, password, and security questions. Please be sure you do note them down so that you will always have access to your DC Employer Self Service Portal. Click “Next”
- “In this session, are you intending to register as an Employer that pays, or expects to pay wages to individuals for services performed in the District of Columbia?” click Yes.
- “Have you paid anyone for work performed in the District of Columbia?” click YES. Process to answer remaining questions.
- For “Is the business liable under FUTA in another state”If DC is the only unemployment state you are applying for/ or currently have click No. If you have an active or will be applying for another unemployment state click Yes.
- Complete the remainder of the pages. Remember you will need to click the validate address button each time you enter an address
If you have any questions regarding this process, please call the Office of Unemployment Compensation - Tax Division at (202) 698-7550.
Update your Eddy account with your District of Columbia Department Of Employment Services registration numbers (both unemployment and Paid Family and Medical Leave) when you receive it. Your Labor registration number is required for all to ensure your account is accurate.
This guide does not contain legal or tax advice. If legal or tax advice is required, an attorney, CPA or tax adviser should be consulted.