1. Help Center
  2. Payroll
  3. State Payroll Registration

Georgia - New Company Registration

New Company Registration for Georgia

State Tax Agencies

This covers registration for the following types of tax:

  • Withholding Tax
  • State Unemployment Insurance (SUI) Tax

Georgia Withholding Tax

The Georgia Department of Revenue administers the state’s income tax withholding.                 

The agency’s website is: https://dor.georgia.gov/.

To obtain a Georgia Withholding Number, the employer must register for an account with the Georgia Department of Revenue. The assigned Georgia Withholding Number will have nine characters. Specifically, the first seven characters are digits and the last two are letters. The format is: 0000000-XX.

Apply for Georgia Withholding Tax Account Number online

A business may register for a Georgia withholding tax account number through the Georgia Tax Center (GTC), a secure electronic self-service portal. After the online submission, employers will receive an email within 15 minutes of their assigned withholding tax account number and deposit tax frequency. Visit Information on setting up online access on the Georgia Tax Center.  

Georgia State Unemployment Insurance (SUI) Tax

The Georgia Department of Labor administers the state’s SUI Tax.  The agency’s website is: Georgia Department of Labor.

Apply for Georgia SUI Account Number online

To obtain a Georgia SUI Account Number, the business must register online with the Georgia Department of Labor. Once the registration has been completed, the business will receive their eight-digit Account Number (000000-00). Visit Online Employer Tax Registration

Apply for Georgia SUI Account Number via mail

To apply via mail, complete paper Form DOL 1N, Application for GDOL Tax Account or Status Change. This form can be completed electronically and printed. Paper applications can take up to 30 days for processing and the determination is mailed to the address of record.




This guide does not contain legal or tax advice. If legal or tax advice is required, an attorney, CPA or tax adviser should be consulted.