New Company Registration for Kentucky
Kentucky Department of Revenue
State Withholding Income Tax Registration Steps:
1. Create online account and register for Kentucky Withholding Account Number
- Go to One Stop business portal and complete the online registration
- Select Start my business
- Register your business
- Click Registration with the Secretary of State and Department of Revenue
- Select Create an Account
- Complete your online gateway profile information including setting up a password and security questions and click sign up
- You will receive an email with a link to activate your account
- Go back to One Stop business portal and sign in
- Under my businesses tab, select register a new business
- Select the type of business
- Follow and complete remaining registration steps
Update your Eddy account with your Kentucky Withholding Account Number. Your account number is required for all Kentucky Department of Revenue interactions to ensure your account is accurate.
If you have any questions regarding this process, call (502) 564-3306 or Email DOR.Registration@ky.gov.
Local Withholding Income Tax Registration Steps:
1. Register for local Withholding Account ID
Many cities and counties require a local business license and/or impose an occupational tax or other type of tax on individuals and firms conducting business within their jurisdiction. To learn about your requirements in this area, begin by contacting the city/county government where your principal place of business in Kentucky will be located. You should also check with each city/county government where you intend to transact business or have a business presence.
Update your Eddy account with all local account number(s). Your local account number(s) is required for all Kentucky local tax interactions to ensure your account(s) is accurate.
If you have any questions regarding this process, go to the Kentucky Secretary of State website or contact the Office of Secretary of State at (502) 782-7433.
Kentucky Office of Unemployment Insurance
Unemployment Insurance Tax (UI) Registration Steps:
1. Set up user ID and password and complete registration
- Go to Kentucky’s unemployment insurance self service website
- Select Employer Registration on left side of page
- Acknowledge disclaimer and click continue
- Enter Federal ID Number and click continue
- Create a password and complete security questions and answers
- Select “yes”, when you are asked if you are using a Third-party administrator
- Enter your business mailing address for correspondence from the agency
- Complete employer information and remaining registration steps
Update your Eddy account with your Kentucky Employer Identification Number (KEIN) . Your Kentucky ID number is required for all unemployment interactions to ensure your account is accurate.
For assistance, give the agency a call at (502) 564-2272.
This guide does not contain legal or tax advice. If legal or tax advice is required, an attorney, CPA or tax adviser should be consulted.