1. Help Center
  2. Payroll
  3. State Payroll Registration

Maryland - New Company Registration

New Company Registration for Maryland

Maryland Department of Revenue

This guide covers registration for the following types of tax:

  • State Withholding Income Tax
  • Unemployment Insurance Tax (UI)

Registration Steps:

1.  Combined registration for Central Registration Number (CRN) for income tax and your Employer Account Number for unemployment tax

  • Go to Comptroller of Maryland online 
  • Click Begin Registration located at the bottom of the screen
  • Register for both state income tax withholding and unemployment tax

You can also call (800) 638-2937 or email taxhelp@comp.state.md.us.

2. Create a username and password for Maryland Department of Labor

  • Go to Maryland Unemployment Beacon employer portal
  • Click “I need to activate my account”
  • Enter your Employer Account Number and either last payment, gross wages reported, or an activation code (sent after registration)
  • Once you are logged in, you will set up and username and password and 3 security questions

For additional assistance, Beacon Employer Tutorial Videos are available.

To assist Employers and Agents with account activation, the Division has created a special Employer/Agent account activation hotline. The account activation hotline can be reached at 410-767-8997 or you may also email ui.employeractivation@maryland.gov.

Third-party Administrator (TPA) access

In order to file and pay Maryland taxes on your behalf, you must grant Eddy access to your Beacon account.

  • Sign in to your Maryland Unemployment Beacon employer portal
  • Under "Your Options", select Account Maintenance
  • Under "Employer Account", select Agent Assignment
  • Click Add Agent
  • Enter Eddy’s agent account number: MD3Z8J
  • Upload POA to the portal
  • Under the “Assign roles” section, select
  • Wage submission (original and amended)
  • Payment submission
  • Enter begin date (date this is being completed) and leave end date blank

      For additional assistance, Beacon Employer Agent Authorization tutorials are available.




      This guide does not contain legal or tax advice. If legal or tax advice is required, an attorney, CPA or tax adviser should be consulted.