1. Help Center
  2. Payroll
  3. State Payroll Registration

Montana- New Company Registration

Montana Department of Revenue State Withholding Income Tax

1.  Register for an Account ID

  • Go to Montana.gov Transaction Portal (TAP)
  • Select Register a New Tax Account
  • Select register and review all information necessary to register
  • Complete remaining registration steps
  • Print confirmation page
  • You will receive a letter from the department of revenue which will have your Account ID in the upper right hand corner.

2. Create a username and password in Montana TAP

  • After you have received your letter with your Montana Account ID
  • Go to Montana.gov Transaction Portal (TAP)
  • Go to New user.  Set up online access
  • Select “my business account”
  • Enter Account ID from letter or contact the agency (406) 444-6900. You will need to verify your identity by answering a few questions
  • Create a username and a password

You can find your Montana Account ID on any correspondence that you've received from Montana DOR.  Update your Check account with your Account ID. Your account ID is required for all Montana Department of Revenue interactions to ensure your account is accurate.

If you have any questions regarding this process, contact agency at (406) 444-6900.

Montana Department of Labor & Industry Unemployment Insurance Tax (UI)

1. Register for a Montana UI Employer Account Number (EAN)

  • Go to UIServices for Employers
  • Select register a new UI Account
  • Review information required to register and click next        
  • Select Employer and click next
  • Complete remaining registration steps

2. Sign up to request a user ID and password

  • Select “sign up here” under log in
  • Select “employer” and your business role
  • Enter your FEIN and your Montana UI employer account number
  • Create a username, password

Update your Eddy account with your Montana UI Employer Account Number (EAN). Your employer account number is required for all Montana unemployment interactions to ensure your account is accurate.

For assistance with registration, call the agency at 406-444-3834.

Third Party Authorization

Third Party Authorization Form must be completed in order for Eddy to file and pay on your behalf.  This form will be available during the onboard process.  




This guide does not contain legal or tax advice. If legal or tax advice is required, an attorney, CPA or tax adviser should be consulted.